As MLB off-season gains momentum, the New York Yankees are getting close to making a substantial move. After finishing out of the postseason for the first time since 2016, the Bronx Bombers could either mull roster overhaul or stick to minimal shuffle. But either way, changes are incoming. That is the only thing certain at this point.
The Yankees’ roster construction is interesting. While they lack outfielders, the infield and catching department is overflowing with options. Thus, in this off-season, all the above-mentioned areas will be addressed. For instance, the catching depth will most likely be depleted, as recently confirmed by general manager Brian Cashman.
Brian Cashman Confirms Movement Of Catchers This Off-Season!
On Thursday night, New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman slept on the streets of Manhattan for an awareness campaign for the homeless community. Before he joined the social campaign, the GM spoke to the media along the sidelines and shared insights on the Yanks’ potential off-season plans. Firstly, Cashman cleared the air around his recent controversial statement about Giancarlo Stanton’s injury history. Secondly, he said the doors of Bronx are open for big free agency names. And as and when the front office deems it necessary, conversations will happen. Besides, the GM addressed the catching depth, which is overflowing at the moment, and there simply isn’t room for everyone.
The current Yankees catching depth consists of Carlos Narvaez, Kyle Higashioka, Jose Trevino, Ben Rortvedt, Austin Wells and Agustin Ramirez. Agustin and Narvaez were recently added to the 40-man squad to protect them from the Rule 5 draft. Still, as many as six backstops are too many for any team, let alone the Bronx Bombers. Thus, a couple of guys could be moved, confirmed Brian Cashman. He says the extended depth is a strength for them. Many rivals are already knocking on the doors to enquire about catchers. Thus, it’s a good position to be in wherein they have the authority to call the shots. So far, Higashioka and Rortvedt’s names have surfaced in the trade rumours. Wells is unlikely to be moved. Trevino’s case is curious. He either returns healthy by spring training or sees the exit door. The other two prospects also seem unlikely to be axed.
Yankees GM Clears Air On Controversial Remark About Giancarlo Stanton!
Besides sharing Yankees off-season plans, Brian Cashman also issued a clarification on his recent remark, which stirred huge controversy. He took a sly dig at Yankee slugger Giancarlo Stanton’s injury history in an interview. Cashman reckoned that he does not expect the slugger to stay healthy for the entirety of the 2024 season, as getting injured is becoming a part of Stanton’s game. After the slugger’s agent hit back, the GM had to clear the air.
Brian Cashman affirmed that his words were taken out of context. He respects Giancarlo Stanton a lot and considers him a great asset. Moreover, he didn’t mean to poke anyone with his statement. All the GM did was just respond to a question thrown at him. Perhaps, in the heat of the moment, Cashman lost his guard. But the general manager had a word with Stanton and his agent, Joel Wolfe, and all is well.