The New York Yankees would be seeking offensive upgrades in the coming off-season. Also, so far, the team has shortlisted only left-handed candidates due to the existing imbalance. Cody Bellinger, Shohei Ohtani, and Juan Soto are some top names that have emerged so far. However, the financial implications attached to these high-end names are huge.
Also, the current struggles of the veterans are becoming a massive headache for the New York Yankees. Moreover, with the kind of money Hal Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman have poured on some individuals, the contract is unrectifiable. Still, the team has been asked to consider replacements by a popular radio host.
Sal Licata Wants Yankees To Replace Giancarlo Stanton With Daniel Vogelbach
Giancarlo Stanton, a former NL MVP and four-time All-Star, is a powerhouse in the batter’s box. However, his tenure with the New York Yankees has been marred by injuries, limiting his on-field contributions. Stanton’s hefty contract also poses financial challenges for the Yanks, especially at a time when teams are increasingly mindful of salary caps and financial constraints. While the slugger has stayed on the receiving end for a while now, the 2023 season fall acted as a last straw. He finished with a career-low .191 batting average, which fans deemed unacceptable. Though Stanton will remain under team control till 2027, Sal Licata of WFAN wants to see change happening immediately.
During a radio show, Licata said New York Mets’ recently non-tendered slugger Daniel Vogelbach could emerge as a best-fit replacement for Stanton. Vogelbach is a lesser-known name but one that carries its weight in potential benefits for the Yankees. The left-handed slugger has showcased his ability to hit for power consistently. In contrast to Stanton, Vogelbach comes with a more budget-friendly salary, providing the Bombers with financial flexibility to address other areas of their roster. Having said that, Daniel also had a decent season. He posted a .233/.339/.404 slash line with 13 home runs and 48 RBIs as a DH, which led the Mets to pull the plug. However, even with a below-par season, the slugger’s numbers seem better than Stanton’s. Will Steinbrenner take the plunge? Only time will tell.
Former Mets Executive Expects Yoshinobu Yamamoto To Surpass Masahiro Tanaka’s Contract!
Japanese ace pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto officially entered Major League Baseball this week. On Tuesday, the pitcher’s player posting process concluded, and he is now an MLB free agent. The teams have until January 4 to negotiate a deal. Having said that, the ace starter is expected to break all sorts of records this off-season when it comes to international acquisition. A former Mets executive named Steve Phillips says Yamamoto could surpass Masahiro Tanaka’s initial contract with the Yankees.
After extensive scouting, the Yankees signed Masahiro Tanaka in a seven-year $155 million contract. However, Yoshinobu Yamamoto is way ahead of his Japanese counterpart, as Phillips expects him to go over $200 million. “I think he’s looking at a megadeal. He’s gonna blow away the Masahiro Tanaka contract with the Yankees… He’s going well over $200 million, and he’s worth it,” says Steve Phillips.