Christian Horner Helmut Marko Red Bull
Christian Horner Helmut Marko Red Bull Source: Daily Express

Red Bull has been experiencing a power struggle that has been noticeable since “The Christian Horner Show” started. The internal struggle of the Austrian outfit took the F1 world by storm. However, previously, a female employee of the Milton Keynes team accused the team principal of “Inappropriate behaviour.” It was shocking for all the F1 fans, especially the fans of the current champions. Later, media reports pointed at the Austrian team suspending the female employee who filed the complaint. Since then, the situation in the Red Bull camp has even worsened.

First of all, the father of the three-time reigning champion went public saying the team will rip itself apart if Christian Horner stays as team principal. Later, Max Verstappen defended his father Jos, saying “My father is not a liar.” Moreover, the 80-year-old senior advisor of Red Bull Racing, Helmut Marko revealed the team might suspend him ahead of the Australian Grand Prix. In reply, Max Verstappen said if that happens, he will leave the team. It is because Max is very loyal to the 80-year-old advisor. On the other hand, Christian Horner seems to get all the backing from the Thai shareholders of Red Bull GmbH. 


Is Christian Horner Eyeing A Prestigious Position Elsewhere?

Christian Horner Helmut Marko Red Bull
Christian Horner Helmut Marko Red Bull Source: Daily Express

Ever since Dietrich Mateschitz, the co-owner of Red Bull, passed away, the Austrian outfit has been dealing with a power struggle. It is the Austrian side of the Red Bull conglomerate that owns 49% of the shares. On the other hand, the Thai shareholders enjoy the rest (51%). Clearly, Christian Horner has joined the Thai shareholders in their camp. That is the reason why Horner managed to stay in his position of the team principal of the Red Bull Racing team. He managed to stay as the team’s boss despite a female employee accused Horner of misconduct.

On the contrary, Red Bull suspended that female employee. Recently, Bild reported that they have learned an interesting update about Red Bull’s power struggle. As per Bild, the 73-year-old Thai majority shareholder, Chalerm Yoovidhya, completely backs Christian Horner. Moreover, the Red Bull team principal aims to become the CEO of Red Bull GmbH. Mr. Yoovidhya supports Horner in his quest to become the new CEO of the parent company. However, to make that happen, executives at present, such as, Oliver Mintzlaff in Sports, Franz Watzlawick in Sales and also Alexander Kirchmayr in Finance will be pushed aside. 

Why Thai Shareholders Are Backing Horner?

Alex Albon Max Verstappen Red Bull
Alex Albon Max Verstappen Red Bull Source: Sky Sports

According to the German publications, the Thai shareholders are backing Christian Horner because he presented them with a “Proverbial sausage.” The idea is if Horner stays where he is, Red Bull Racing will recruit Alex Albon. After all, Albon is a Thai-British racer.

In 2025, he can have a serious chance to win the title with Red Bull. Moreover, Max Verstappen was already in rumors of joining Mercedes or other teams. If the Dutch racer leaves, Christian Horner and the Thai shareholder’s plans can be implemented really well. That’s why Mr. Yoovidhya will keep backing Horner. 

Stay tuned to Sports News International for more such updates about your favorite F1 team.