The New York Yankees have some of the loudest and most devout fans in professional sports, but they’re also among the most superstitious in baseball. (Image: Getty)

The New York Yankees have a storied history of success, with 27 World Series championships under its belt. The $7 billion franchise remains the team with the second largest payroll this season, just second to city rival Mets. However, money certainly did not guarantee success as the team currently sits last on the East division table, just above .500, with a record of 54-48.

Naturally, the hardcore fan base of New York is highly disappointed. On many occasions, the crowd at Yankee Stadium resonated their feelings through boos and heckling. Meanwhile, as the New York Yankees are striving to secure a late playoff spot, the fans seem to have already lost hope and faith, at least for this season.


Yankee Fans Have Lost Faith In The Team! Expect Them To Miss Playoffs

Top photo of Anthony Volpe, Nestor Cortes, Aaron Hicks, Gerrit Cole, Anthony Rizzo, Aaron Judge, and Oswaldo Cabrera of the Yankees: Sarah Stier / Getty Images

The New York Yankees have not missed playoffs since 2016 and haven’t finished under .500 since 1992. However, both records are under threat this season. While the Yanks currently remain above .500 for now, the next competitive stretch could change things quickly. Undoubtedly, the Bronx Bombers are leaving no stone unturned in their efforts to avert a disaster. But the fans seem to have already given up. In a survey conducted by SB Nation Reacts, only 36% of fans believed that the 27-time World Series champions would make it to the playoffs this season. The rest, 64 percent, have lost all faith and belief. To be fair, 64% of the fans have all the reasons to raise doubt. As per FanGraphs’ projections, the Yanks have only 32.5 percent odds of making it to the postseason this year.

The New York Yankees will most likely welcome back Aaron Judge over the weekend. Moreover, during Tuesday’s trade deadline, the office is expected to add a few more names to the roster. All these steps are likely to strengthen the roster and give a massive push to the playoffs. Having said that, the team has only 60-odd games left on the schedule, out of which 10-15 games remain highly competitive. Further speaking of Judge, he is not likely to return to his usual self immediately as he has been out for eight weeks. On top of that, the team is yet to clear its trade approach, and is a possibility that they might not make any swift moves. Hence, overall, the Bomber’s chances of a playoff berth are getting bleaker with each passing day.

Fans Expect Yankees To Be Active Buyers At Trade Deadline

Aaron Boone
New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone (17) and New York Yankees bench coach Carlos Mendoza (64) look on in the second inning of a baseball game Saturday, July 15, 2023, in Denver. David Zalubowski – staff, AP

Meanwhile, the summer trade deadline is ending on Tuesday. The New York Yankees were expected to be full-fledged buyers. But recent developments have put the front office in a fix. Meanwhile, SB Nation conducted yet another survey wherein the voters were asked to reveal who they thought could be the biggest buyer at the deadline.

While 31% of fans voted for Los Angels Dodgers, 29% voted for New York Yankees. As per rumors, the team might look to add an outfielder or relief pitcher if they get a good candidate in a steal deal. But other than that, the Bombers are not expected to make any significant move. Hence, the roster currently available at the deck will remain the club’s best bet.